You can order your Montana Fishing License online. Then, take your family to Wadsworth Park in Great Falls to catch rainbow trout and bass. Read the Montana and Big Sky fishing regulations before you go. There are often exceptions that are specific to your area.
REQUIREMENTS FOR MONTANA FISHING LICENSE
Montana offers a wide range of fishing opportunities, whether you want to fly fish in the big prairie rivers or fish in the high mountains. Before you can take advantage of Montana’s many fishing spots, make sure that you comply with Montana’s fishing license requirements.
For anyone over 11 years old, a valid fishing licence is necessary to fish in state waters. The license allows you to possess and fish for any aquatic invertebrate or fish allowed by state fishing regulations.
Two licenses are required for many anglers in Montana Fishing License: a conservation license and a fishing licence. Angler Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Pass (also required) is another type of license that is required to fish in Montana.
Types of Fishing License
There are many license options available depending on how long you intend to fish in Montana waters.
Full Season: The license is valid for the entire season from March 1 through February 31.
Short-term: This type of license is available in two versions. Both are valid for two consecutive days, while the other is valid for 10 consecutive day.
You must have lived in Montana for at least 180 days consecutively to qualify as a resident. Other requirements include filing your Montana tax returns and licensing and titling you car in Montana.
To satisfy the state’s requirements, it is important to remember that you can also obtain a Resident Sportman or Non-resident Combination License. This license includes a season fishing licence.
EXEMPTIONS FROM Montana Fishing License
Montana fishing license requirements are not mandatory. However, there are exceptions. For educational events or clinics, exemptions from the fishing license requirement are available. These events must be educational in nature and conducted under the supervision of a Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks employee, or certified fishing instructor.
Each year, the Montana Fishing License fees can be subject to change. These fees are available on the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Website. The costs for 2021 are as follows
- Full-Season montana fishing license
- Resident cost: $21
- Youth resident cost: $10.50 for 10-17 year olds
- Seniors 62+: $10.50
- Non-resident Cost: $86
- Two consecutive calendar days of short-term license
- Resident cost: $5
- Youth aged 10-17: Resident cost: $5
- Cost for Seniors 62+ Residents: $5
- Non-resident Cost: $25
- Short-term License for 10 Consecutive Days
- Non-resident Cost: $56
WHERE CAN I BUY A MONTANA FISHING LICENSE
There are a few options available when purchasing a Montana fishing licence. Online ordering is possible through Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks. Once you complete your purchase, you can print your license immediately.
You can also visit any of the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks licensing providers that are located throughout the state. The department’s website contains a list and an interactive map listing these providers.
Fishing License Information
Montana’s outdoor recreation is one of the top industries. It generates $7.1 billion and provides over 71,000 jobs. These numbers are largely due to the fact that Montana has around 34 million acres worth of public land, which is home to some of the best trout fishing areas in the world.
Montana fishing license is an essential component of maintaining and improving fly fishing experiences for Montanans and visitors from other states. Despite the fact that licenses are more expensive for non-residents, it is still a very important cause. It’s also cheaper than golf.
The number of days that you plan to fish will determine the price of your license. There are season, 2-day, 4-day and 10-day licenses. Montana fishing licenses are available at all of the local fly shops in Ennis. Online ordering is possible for fishing licenses. It is easy to purchase a Montana fishing licence online. It is a good idea to get your Montana fishing license before your arrival at Madison Valley Ranch. If you don’t, we can help you with that.
Anglers 12 years old and over
A Montana fishing license is not required for children under 12. Everyone else does. During the licensing process, you will be required to give some basic information such as contact information and the last four social accounts. The number of days you intend to fish will determine the validity of your license. You do not need to have a license if you are fishing within our property’s boundaries, but you will need one if you fish outside of the property.
montana fishing license Regulations
Each fishery in Montana has its own regulations. Depending on where you fish and when of the year, each river has its own regulations.
It is important that you ask questions about specific fishing methods with your guide, our staff, and using the Montana Fishing Regulation booklet, available online or at local fly shops.
The Madison River is open for catch-and-release. Maximum 2 barbed hooks can be used. Madison Valley Ranch, Eaton Outfitters and other businesses are strictly catch-and release regardless of regulations.
- SUN PROTECTION: Columbia Men’s PFG Bahama II Short Sleeve fishing shirt features our signature UPF 30 fabric that helps to blocks UVA and UVA rays to help prevent sunburns and skin damage during long hours in the sun.
- HANDY FEATURES: This short sleeve fishing shirt features two handy chest pockets with velcro closure for convenient storing.
- COMFORT & BREATHABILITY: Hidden vents at the shoulders and 100% nylon quick dry fabric make for a shirt that’s breathable and comfortable during any outdoor activity.
- RELAXED FIT: A relaxed, lightweight fit make this fishing shirt the ultimate choice for casual days outside as well as for activity out on the water.
- OMNI-SHADE: Be safe and protected. Omni-Shade blocks UVA and UVB rays to help prevent sunburns and long-term skin damage. The tight weave construction with UV absorbent yarns block the full spectrum of harmful UV rays.
- 🎣 Various Fishing Accessories- TOPFORT 187 pcs fishing tackles set collects nearly all accessories including Off set hooks/barrel swivels / barrel snap swivels/swivel slides/ Three way cross-line barrel swivels /Sequins/ split shot weights/fishing beads/ Barrel Swivel with Safety Snap/ Fishing Leaders/ Heart Shaped Plastic Sheet/ Fishing Sinker Weights / Space Beans / suitable for all sorts of fishing conditions (About 0.09USD for each piece)
- 🎣 Anti-Corrosion Stainless Steel- All Fishing Accessories made of stainless steel, which is not easy to deform and has strong corrosion resistance in the sea, our superior fishing kit will help to attract more catches and provoke predator fish to strike.
- 🎣 storage capacity-Fishing tackle case comes with a selector side by side tackle box for classifying all accessories, each kind of fishing Accessories are placed in different small grid with translucent cover that make all items are well sorted storing and easy identification and access.
- 🎣 Easy to carry-The fishing tackle is equipped with a compact box with a black elastic lanyard. Fishing gadgets box size：4.7″ x 3.9″ x 1.2″, weights 8.8 oz, easily fits in your fishing seat box, fishing backpack and fishing vest’s pocket, portable size and weight for carry besides wherever you go to fishing.
- 🎣Great Gift- Comes with a selector side by side tackle box, great gift for fisherman, Special for Christmas, Thanksgiving Day, Father’s Day ect.
- ROUND FISHING ROD STORAGE RACK: Round fishing pole rack stores and displays up to 16 rod and reel combos (rods not included)
- HANDCRAFTED WOOD POST: Beautifully crafted, durable wood grain laminate makes for a traditional looking rod rack to blend in seamlessly with your décor
- EASY ACCESSIBILITY: Includes a solid 2-piece wood center post at the perfect height for your fishing poles to store your rods away in no time
- VERSATILE SLOTS AND ROD CLIPS: Includes padded slots on base plate for rod handles plus soft rod clips that adjust to any rod taper
- EFFICIENT RACK SIZE: Measures 13.3″ L x 13.3″ W x 30″ H with no tools required for assembly for a premium storage solution for your fishing gear